Sunday, August 31, 2014

The A.C.T.S. of Prayer: The Practice of My Simplified Prayer Life {CONFESSION}

CONFESSION:The act of coming to God with my wrong-doing or sin.


“Confess yourself to heaven: Repent what’s past, avoid what is to come.”
~ William Shakespeare


Sin and transgression are used interchangeably in reference to our wrong-doing in this life. From my studies, there is a clear distinction between the two, even though they can affect one another. While sin is missing the mark of whatever it is you are working to attain, transgression is a willing act or offense against a law or rule. It's easy to see them as the same, considering confession and forgiveness are needed in order to move on from each. Confession to self, confession to God, forgiveness of self, forgiveness of others, are all necessary. Being unforgiving (towards self and others) can even be looked at as a sin or transgression, depending on the intent of the person who is required to forgive. One thing I know for sure, is that when I come to God with my sin, I am assured forgiveness from Him, as well as myself. I come away feeling lighter, and most times, much wiser (especially if I'm asking for wisdom, but that's something else to talk about)! The important thing for me, is to be open about all of my foolassery, even though He knows everything that I think and do - I want all of my bases covered - so complete honesty with myself is key. That way, I'm assured of being honest with God.

Who can understand why we do wrong? I ask the Lord to cleanse me from secret faults. To keep me also from presumptuous sins. Let them have no dominion over me, so that I shall be blameless and innocent of great transgressions. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in His sight. My Lord, my strength and my redeemer.[4]  When I come to God in prayer, I acknowledge my sin to Him and my iniquity I do not hide. I confess my transgressions to the Lord, and He forgives the iniquity of my sin.[5]  I ask that God have mercy on me, according to His lovingkindness, according to the multitude of His tender mercies, and to blot out my transgressions. I desire for Him to wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin, as I acknowledge that my transgressions and my sins are always before me. Against Him, only Him, have I sinned and done evil in His sight - that He may be found just when He speaks, and blameless when He judges.[6] 

I know that if I cover my sin, I will not prosper. But when I confess and forsake my sin and transgression, God will place His mercy upon me.[7]  For if I say that I have fellowship with Him, but walk in darkness, I’m lying and not practicing truth. But if I walk in the light as He is in the light, I have fellowship with and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses me from all sin. If I say that I have no sin, I deceive only myself, and the truth is not in me. But if I confess my sins, He is faithful and just to forgive me of my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. If I say that I have not sinned, I make God a liar, and His word is not in me.[8] Once again, this is my relationship with Him. It's important to me, so the least I can do is trust Him with my "stuff".



[4] Psalm 19:12-14
[5] Psalm 32:5
[6] Psalm 51:1-4, 10-13
[7] Proverbs 28:13
[8] 1 John 1:6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment